Helping Children Receive Necessary Care

Child Dental Benefit Scheme

The Child Dental Benefit Scheme (CDBS)

Here at Carnegie Dental group, we BULK BILL all Child Dental Benefit Scheme Claims directly to Medicare, and only charge the Medicare fees. So there are no gap payments or time waiting for money to be reimbursed to you. It’s all taken care of by our friendly reception staff on the day of your child’s appointment. Eligibility criteria applies, please call us today to find out more.

Kids on grass

What is the CDBS?

The CDBS is an Australian Government run and funded scheme that replaces the Medicare Teen Dental Plan that ran until January 2014. The CDBS has been extended to children aged 2-17 and offers up to $1000 worth of dental care per child to be used over a two-year calendar period.

What treatments are covered by the CDBS?

Eligible children can use their $1000 for basic general dental treatments including:

  • Examinations
  • X-rays
  • Cleaning
  • Fissure sealants
  • Fillings
  • Root canals
  • Extractions
  • Partial dentures

As there are no limitations to whether treatment needs to be carried out privately or in a public setting you will be able to acquire services from Carnegie Dental Group for your children.

What isn’t covered by the CDBS?

There are a few treatments that aren’t covered and once the voucher has been used you will not be issued another unless the child is still eligible in the second two-year bracket. The following treatments cannot be claimed:

  • Orthodontics
  • Cosmetic Dental Work
  • Hospital provided treatments

There are further restrictions on specific items so please follow the entire claims procedure or contact our team to find out what is and is not included in your treatment plan.

The benefit can also not be used in conjunction with a private health insurance claim or for other siblings. You can only claim private health cover or CDBS not both.

Who is eligible for the CDBS?

To be eligible your child needs to be between 2-17 years at any point in the calendar year and must receive a relevant Australian Government payment, such as Family Tax Benefit Part A, at any point in the year. You will have received notification via email or a letter from the Department of Human Services notifying you of this.

The eligibility lasts for the full calendar year and approval is gained in even if they turning 18 or are no longer receiving the relevant payment.

How do I claim the CDBS?

If your dentist provides bulk-billed services you will not need to make any payment and the claim will be processed by the dentist.

If your dentist does not utilise bulk billing (private dentists) you will first need to pay for the services provided by your dentist. They will provide you with an itemised receipt which you then take to Medicare to receive your benefit payment.

The dentist will also lodge a copy of their receipt to match your claim.

For more information on the CDBS or to make an appointment to use your $1000 voucher please call us on (03) 9571 9016

The CDG is now open late nights! We are opened until 7pm on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.